Relationship Property

Entering into a new Relationship?

Have you just recently moved in with your partner?

Under the Property (Relationships) Act 1976, once a couple have been living together in a defacto relationship for over three years, they will be deemed to have been in a relationship and their property will become relationship property.

If you want to be clear on how relationship property is to be apportioned, or even if you wish to make your own decisions regarding relationship property, then you can contract out of the Property (Relationships) Act by entering into what is called a contracting out agreement.

For a contracting out agreement to be valid, it must be signed and certified by two independent Lawyers (one acting for each party).

Contracting out agreements are a cheap and effective way to allow you to make decisions about how your relationship property will be divided.

We strongly urge you to contact us if you are interested in finding out more about this contracting out agreement.

Separation Agreement

When a couple has separated and wishes to make formal acknowledgement of the division of their joint property, then they will enter into and sign a separation and relationship property agreement.

Like a contracting out agreement, a separation and relationship property agreement must also be signed and certified by two independent Lawyers before it can become binding.

Going through a separation is one of the most stressful things that most people can go through.

Our expert team can help make a stressful ordeal become much more manageable.

Going to Court

Sometimes parties are unable to agree despite their best intentions.

Going to court to make an application for orders is usually the last resort.

Although it can be harrowing, it can be the best way to obtain a  resolution in relationship property matters, especially if one side is dragging their feet.

Need assistance with any Relationship Property matters? Please contact DG Law on 09 574 5316